Friday, March 21, 2008

Gili Trawangan, or how to chill out for ten days straight.

Intrepid voyagers that we fashion ourselves to be, Micah and I now find ourselves in the middle of the Indian Ocean on an island of Indonesia no bigger than a postage stamp. Well, maybe a touch bigger, but only at the widest point. This little island is called Gili Trawangan, and we were drawn to it by promises of pristine beaches, crystal clear azure water, and a complete lack of motor vehicles. Thus far, all of those promises have been fulfilled. That said, it is a bit more expensive than the rest of Bali, and a lot more tourist filled. A international cornucopia, spilling over with Europeans, Japanese, Aussies, and the occasional pair of California goof balls.

There are also no stray dogs on this island, which I appreciate after nearly being attacked by marauding bands of haggard canines in Ubud. The cats however, are wild, loud, and bold. We can't really leave our door open on our room, as the moment you stop paying attention, a skinny little kitty will dart in and hide under your bed. I'm not sure why they do this, perhaps they just want to be loved? The worst was a few nights ago, when I left my window open to get some respite from the 24/7 heat, and was awakened in the middle of the night by a mangy, smelly, cat walking around on my bed near my pillow, and meowing insistently. I responded by forcibly insisting that he leave through the same window he entered, albeit with more velocity and less grace. Oh how I miss my cute, fat, little princess kitty from home.

Yesterday there was a tempestuous thunder storm, with peels of thunder shaking the whole island. Micah and I sat on our little porch, watching a distant communications tower in hopes that it would be struck. Imagine our surprise when a massive lightning bolt hit the much smaller tower 150 feet from our abode. Actually, scratch imagining. Micah yelled out loud, and his face belied nothing but terror, and I recoiled instinctively, hitting my elbow on my chair with bruising force. Yes Virginia, it was that loud. Unfortunately, the thunder abated after a few hours, but the rain continued to fall all day.

So, our days have been filled with backgammon, eating, reading, sleeping, and swimming. If that sounds somewhat empty, you'd be right, and that's why we're loving it. Micah has had a bit of a bug for the last few days, but we are confident that his GI tract will rise to the challenge and blow the sickness to kingdom come. Make of that, what you will. Soon we head to Sydney, back into the fold of western civilization, familiar food, bearable humidity, and normal toilets. I can't say I'm not excited, but I will miss the simple and slow way of life we have enjoyed in Bali. Until next time, my fair readers.

-Jack

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

via misses you too. the cat in your story sort of reminded me of matilda though, she's pretty stinky and annoying too.

anways, i reamain supremely jealous, you sound as though you are having quite the time.

miss you and love you!

Anonymous said...

I want to see a beard update!

Unknown said...

Yeah, I could go for a beard update, as well, bro. I'm so glad you've found a place that sounds so beautiful. Yeah, stinky and mangy cats are my worst nightmare. I bet if I were there, I would be having a nightmare about them and then wake up to the same thing you did and freak out. Say hello to the Opera House for me next week!